RECIPE BY NELSON @FRESH_N_GREY
- 1/2 cup olive oil “butter” or regular butter, softened
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Yellow Pea Protein Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup finely to coarsely chopped walnuts For
Cookie A - Fruit Jelly Topping
- 1/2 cup blueberry preserve
- 1/2 cup guava preserve
- 1/2 apricot preserve
- 1 cup finely chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
For Cookie B - Dried Fruit Mix
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line a cookie sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper
- Set the oven rack to the middle.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, pea powder, salt & baking soda. Set aside.
- Cream together the sugars, oil, butter & vanilla extract. Add in the eggs 1 at a time. Cream together for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture. Mix until it is well combined. Fold in the walnuts.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for about 30 min.
- Meanwhile, make the fruit topping by bringing all the ingredients together in a saucepan over medium heat, mixing often, until it starts to bubble. Bring the temp down to medium-low and continue to cook the mixture until it is nice and thick…it will sort of stick to the bottom…but not really, it is just thick. Cover and set aside to cool in full.
- Scoop out 12 balls of dough, rolling them in your hand to about 1/2-3/4 inch in size. Set these on the cookie sheet w/ about 1-1 1/2 inches apart. Press your thumb into the center a bit to make an oval-like indent.
- Bake the cookies for 11 minutes. When there is about 3 minutes to go, use a spoon to reintroduce the indent to each cookie.
- Once done, cool on a pan for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Fold the dried fruit mixture into the remaining dough. Roll the dough into 23 1/2 - 3/4 inch balls. Place these on the baking sheet. DO NOT PRESS THESE DOWN.
- Bake the cookies, probably in two batches, for 11 minutes. Once done, cool on a pan for 1-2 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- When the very first batch has cooled completely, using a spoon, apply about 1 tablespoon worth of fruit topping to each cookie. You can add just a bit more to each one as the fruit jelly will cool and hold in place well.
- Enjoy your Brown Sugar Walnut cookies w/ Fruit Jelly Topping & Brown Sugar Walnut Fruit Cookies!
Start your plant protein journey today