RECIPE BY NELSON @FRESH_N_GREYIngredients
- 1 ¾ cups semolina flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup Mung Bean Protein Powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- Zest & juice of 2 limes
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature or egg replacer
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons coconut extract Confectioners’ sugar, for rolling/dredging
- Granulated sugar for rolling/dredging
- Position racks to divide the oven into thirds, and heat it to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone matts.
- In a bowl, stir together the semolina, almond flour, mung bean powder, baking powder, (egg replacer powder if using) and salt.
- Put sugar, coconut and zest in a bowl. Rub together by hand until fragrant. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, whisk together the sugars, eggs/(water for egg replacer if using such) & oil together for 3 minutes. Whisk in vanilla and coconut extract.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- Add half the dry ingredients and some of the lime juice and mix them in, then add the rest of the dry and some of the lime juice, mixing only until dry ingredients disappear into the dough, it will be thickish and wetish.
- Chill dough for about 1hour.
- Place some granulated sugar in one bowl and some confectioners’ sugar into another bowl. For each cookie, spoon out a tablespoon of dough, roll it between your palms to form a ball and dredge the ball first in the granulated sugar and then again in the powdered sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 14 minutes, until cookies are ever so lightly colored: They will be golden on the bottom, puffed a bit and dramatically cracked. Let the cookies cool on the sheet for about 10 minutes. Then, only then, carefully lift the cookies off sheets and onto racks.
Start your plant protein journey today