RECIPE BY NELSON @FRESH_N_GREYIngredients
- 3 ¾ cups APF (you can substitute up to .5 cups APF w/ .5 cups chickpea or fava bean flour…you will up the milk mixture as needed if you go this route)
- 1/2 cup Chickpea Protein Powder
- 1 ½ cups white sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 8 tablespoons butter, cold n cubed (plant based butter works well)
- 1 cup chips (white, milk or dark chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch, etc.). If not using chips, add 1 additional cup from below.
- 1 cup chopped dried fruit, nuts or shredded coconut (if using coconut you will up the milk mixture as needed)
- 2 large eggs at room temp
- Zest of two citrus fruits if aiming for that flavor profile
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1.5 teaspoons flavoring of your choice
- 1 ½ cups half-and-half or milk or almond milk or coconut milk, separated
- ½ cup cream cheese (cashew or almond cream cheese work just as well)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup fruit juice of choice or
- 1 tablespoon of water or almond milk.
- ½ teaspoon flavoring of choice
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour/s, salt, sugar** and baking powder. **If going for a citrus flavor profile, combine the zest and sugar in a bowl and rub it together using a spoon, whisk or your hands to activate the oils in the zest. Once done, add to the flour mix.
- Place the flour mix into the bowl of a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment and mix it on low-medium until the mixture is unevenly crumbly.
- Stir in the fruit, chips, and/or nuts.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, cream cheese, powdered sugar and ½ cup of the “milk”. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Stir the ingredients until it holds together. Add more flour as needed to get it to a shaggy state. Add the rest of the milk slowly as needed.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface or silicone work surface.
- Work the dough until it comes together neatly and is no longer sticky.
- Create 2 rounds each about 8 inches across. The rounds should be about 3/4" thick.
- Slice each round into 8 wedges.
- Brush each wedge with milk. Place them in the fridge for about 20 minutes to help them be better scones later.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F with the rack at the almost top setting.
- Place the scones on a stone baking circle.
- Bake the scones in the upper part of your oven for 18 to 23 minutes, or until they're a light golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven, and cool briefly on the pan. Serve warm or wait until they cool completely to use icing.
- To create the icing, whisk the fruit juice, water or milk, with the powdered sugar and flaovring. Whisk it until smooth. Dunk each scone, topside down, into the icing to coat. Allow the icing to stiffen.
Start your plant protein journey today