RECIPE BY NELSON @FRESH_N_GREYIngredients
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract Zest of
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup Green Boy Fava Bean Protein Powder
- 1 1/4 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a Charlotte Cake Pan.
- Combine the lemon zest and sugar and work it together until fragrant.
- To make the cake: In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and zested sugar until light and lemon-colored (ribbon stage), about 3 minutes.
- Beat in the olive oil, lemon extract and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, fava bean protein powder, salt, and baking powder. Add to the egg mixture alternately with the almond milk, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. When smooth; pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes, until the center springs back when lightly touched and the edges just begin to pull away from the pan.
- *** If the cake has a dome, this is a good time to use a bread knife to slice off the dome using the pan as a guide. Remove the cake from the oven and cool completely upside down on a rack. Before turning out (right side up) onto a serving plate, loosen the edges with a flexible thin spatula or table knife.
- To make the cream cheese frosting: whisk together the cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract. Add the powdered sugar a bit at a time, whisking it together until it is smooth and just firm enough…not really stiff…still able to be spread. You may have to alternate adding more powdered sugar and/or milk. Set aside.
- Place the flaked coconut in a pan and toast on low to medium until the coconut has turned to blonde/brown in color. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble the cake: Spread the cream cheese frosting over the center top recessed area (was the bottom while baking) filling the entire space. Sprinkle the toasted coconut over the frosting to cover completely.
- Place the cake in the fridge to cool for about 1 hour, this will help firm up the cream cheese frosting.
Start your plant protein journey today