RECIPE BY NELSON @FRESH_N_GREY
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ c sugar
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Yellow Pea Protein Powder
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ c olive oil
- 1 c orange slurry (see below for instructions)
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ toasted white sesame seeds
- juice of one orange
- ½ c sugar
- 3 tbls orange liquor
- 1 c powdered sugar
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ toasted black sesame seeds
Take 1 whole orange and cut it into chunks. Discard any seeds.
Place chunks in a pot with 2 cups of water, 1 ½ c sugar, 1 tsp orange extract & ½ c orange liquor. Bring to a boil and then keep at a high simmer for about 1-2 hours. Stir occasionally and be sure to keep the water at about 2 cups for most of the time. After about 2 hours, begin letting the water evaporate until about 1 cup remains. Remove from heat and let cool a bit. Using an immersion blender or blender, blend the contents of the pot into a slurry for use!
Preheat oven to 350°F
Make the cake
- Prepare an 8” springform pan, or loaf pan (I used a swirl loaf pan) by spraying with baking spray and dusting with flour.
- Place the sugar, eggs, olive oil, vanilla & orange extract in a large bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and white sesame seeds then add to the mixture in the bowl a little at a time.
- Mix in the orange slurry and stir until evenly combined, then pour the batter into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes (depending on your oven), but test with a skewer to make sure the orange cake is done before removing from the oven.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze by heating up all the glaze ingredients until the sugar has dissolved and some of the juice has evaporated. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven, poke some holes into the cake with a skewer or toothpick and brush about half the glaze over the cake allowing for the cake to absorb the glaze. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes, then remove the side of the springform pan or turn out the swirl loaf pan. Brush the remainder of the glaze over this side of the cake allowing for the cake to absorb the glaze. Allow cake to cool completely
- Prepare the icing by whisking all the ingredients together until nice and creamer. Add more tahini or sugar as needed to create icing consistency.
- Pour icing over the swirl side of the loaf cake or atop the flat cake. Allow the icing to cool/solidify a bit before repeating until all the icing has been used.
- Sprinkle it with toasted blcak sesame seeds.
Start your plant protein journey today